Pure unrefined African shea butter from Global Mamas is 100% natural, and is currently in the organic certification process through the Institute of Marketology (IMO). Our shea butter unrefined is collected by a collective of women workign with Naasakle Ltd. and live in the Damongo area of northern. The area, in which our shea nuts are harvested, is completely free of pesticide use and any potential chemical contaminants, providing you the finest quality 100% natural unrefined shea butter.
The Northern Region of Ghana is very remote, and removed from nearby industry. Although this region of Ghana covers the most land area, it is the least populated region of Ghana, in part due to the unfavorable weather conditions causing frequent drought, which often results in poor agricultural conditions. Global Mamas works with the women in this rural area to help establish, for them, a better financial stability, through fair wages, and consistent employment through the export of 100% pure unrefined African shea butter. No chemicals are used in the growth, harvesting, or processing of the shea nuts. They are hand collected, crushed with the help of a grinding mill, and brought to their organic raw shea butter state by blending the crushed nuts with only pure water.
raw shea butter can be used in its pure form or can be used as an additive to complement shea butter based cosmetic product as
well as skin and hair care products.
The organic certification process is well under way and is expected to be completed by the end of 2012. Once through the IMO organic certification process, our natural unrefined shea butter will verifiably follow the basic principles of organic certification:
- The collected plants are naturally grown (without any agricultural measures).
- The collection area must be clearly defined.
- The collection area has not been treated with any prohibited inputs (according to the organic regulation) for at least three years and is free of major sources of contamination.
- The method of collection is sustainable.
- Full traceability of the product flow is granted.
- All parties involved in collection are bound by contract to follow the rules of organic.